Friday, September 03, 2010

My first day at RCVPNAA, Bhopal


Today is the 29th of August, the day which I was looking forward to since the last 3 months.

We arrived in Bhopal at around 10 am. The autorickshaw, although cunning enough to charge us 130 Rupees (and we gullible enough to be trapped into his trap) was effortlessly telling us about the situation of Bhopal - the nice places here, the weather here, that the rains were not good this time, that the CM is discriminating between Old Bhopal and New Bhopal, as a result of which old Bhopal's development has been compromised.

We reached the academy and the two ladies at the reception were kind enough to check the file and told me that my room number will be 217. The keys were handed over to me and there was an attendant who helped us (Papa and me) to get the luggage upstairs.

The room was out of bounds of my expectations. It looked like a 3-star hotel room - with 2 ACs (it is a double-occupancy room and my roomie is yet to arrive), neatly arranged beds, a small sofa, a study table, two wardrobes, a tea-table and a clean bathroom. There was a strange feeling of pride saying, "Hey, you deserve it." But, I know that I am not here for luxury. Papa was taking bath and I was putting my clothes into the wardrobe when some of the other trainees came into the room. They were around 5-6 of them and I already knew one of them (I met him at CMC Vellore before). We introduced ourselves (most of them spoke about the states where they were from and the service they were allotted). I deliberately asked them when they had come and the room number they are staying so as to prorogue the formal talk and to talk something which is not a matter of personal pride (like what rank did you get, whether it was your first attempt and other things which might be linked to one's ego).

We then headed for lunch. We met some more trainees there. A guy from Indian Corporate Law Service, who hailed from Bangalore, was giving some fundaes in a typical accent. He seemed to be boastful and to know a lot of things. I was a bit critical because I made these conclusions merely due to his extrovert nature. But, sometimes among strangers, one person should be an extrovert, I thought because it becomes easy for the group to come together and talk. There was another person (he was incidentally from Jammu and was a Sardar) - I am not able to recollect his name. He said that he was 29 years old and was very happy that he had got into IRTS. He said that he had talked to rank-21 person (who is currently an IAS at Uttarakhand) who was very unhappy with his life as an IAS officer. He seemed to be a knowledgeable person and what I liked in him was his sympathetic attitude. This was reinforced when we later had a session on abusing the UPSC and its various ways of not changing with time, delaying the results, asking the preferences before the mains exam, lack of information about the various services. It was a good discussion and I think that there are a lot of people who think and want to change/improve the system - something that I was desperately hoping for, since the last couple of months.

We then headed for a walk towards the Shahpura lake (thanks to the initiative taken by that Bangalorean ICLS guy). We were around 14-15. Naturally, there were around 5-6 groups of 2-3 people each. I was in a 3-member group along with that Bangalorean and my CMC Vellore friend, Dhruva. They were doing most of the talking and I was just listening. Then, the Jammu Sardar also joined our group and a discussion on the Kashmir problem started. I was doing most of the listening since I really wanted to hear something from a localite. But, he couldn't tell something new, most of it was the stuff which I had already listened on the news channels. I caught up with Papa, who was walking alone towards the lake. We walked around 200 m, saw the lake, it was fenced all around and also, it was dirty. We headed back towards the academy.

Now, that we are back to the room and he is sleeping, I am on the sofa with an edition of "The Week" on the tea-table along with a book on Physical Geography. When I was reading about the earthquakes, there were a lot of thoughts going on in my mind and hence I thought that let me pen them down. So, I have started writing this column.

This day, is many days, similar to the first day at college. There is a strange feeling of inferiority complex, the fact that I am not very vocal and do not have much to say. The photo of Mother Teresa on "The Week" reminds me again that anybody can bring about a change, if one desires to. She was not even a university graduate and she started at the age of 40, yet she brought about a change. Here, I am sitting and wondering whether it is worthwhile to join IRS (IT) and bring about improvements in the system or I should study for the next exam and become an IAS officer. This constant dilemma is not leaving me. Let me read for the next 2 months and then see if I can get selected. Otherwise, I have IRS in my hand, I will try my heart out. Salute to you, Mother Teresa...hats off to you.

13 comments:

Anand said...

:) Lovely write up Pogo.
U know there are only few people who I really admire and luckily you are among 1 of them. I really liked the last para (Mother Teressa bit), and I am pretty sure in whichever post you will be, you will do lots of good to India. keep the spirit up and be yourself. Action speaks louder than words.

So, never forget our tax pays for your 3 star residence and so make it worth :).

rebel_guy said...

hey vik !!!

love to hear these thngs frm u... and learn from it !!!!
do write more...

Unknown said...

hmmm..good one...you will certainly bring a change....
and i will also try my level best to assist u in near future

raks said...

nice account. let many more flow like this. :)

Harsh said...

:)

Best of luck and take care.

Harsh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shit-head said...

Hey Man .. just joined your followers list ..

Won't be long when I join your voting campaigners list too.. I hope to see such a day soon..

Get a feeling like.. India is set to change and when Obama said "Change, we can !", he perhaps was only referrring to our MOTHERLAND .. Proud to be Indian !!

Ohh !! Plz keep writing.. God bless you.

Shit-head said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soliton said...

Dude..Lets meet up once I am in Bhopal. By the way , Its my hometown- if you are unaware of that. Congratulations again and All the best. You make us feel proud dude.

Manish Gupta

Bhopale said...

Hi there
Welcome to Bhopal.

Unknown said...

Yes U can start anytime to bring the changes.But there are always better and efficient ways to do the things to bring the output to the max.I personally believe You fit(deserve) more to the IAS IPS category to do more (maximum) wonder . Though you will do wonder watever field u chose .
But Now Just focus on your main exam. And CRACK it with BANG.
ok.

Your friend
Kshitij.

Unknown said...

U R Martin Lther king 4 me dear.
how the traning n preparation is going on dear?

canons said...

Hey Pogo,
Yaar is it not true that what ever system/community you enter(IAS/IIT/GBS/HBS) there are always few people who are little more aggressive and stock headed. I feel that people with these traits in future become the bosses who do not listen to new ideas.Luckily you do not have such traits.

Vaibhav